Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Random Animals

The other day when Aaron and I got home from the store, this puppy ran from under our car and starting jumping on us and licking Ella. We had no idea where it came from. It didn't have a collar or anything. It was clean and obviously loved people. It scared the daylights out of Ella though. She has only been around older dogs that don't jump, so this little puppy jumping on her was not making her happy.
We decided to put the puppy in our backyard and get some poster to put up for a lost dog because we knew this dog had to belong to someone. I couldn't just ignore a puppy sitting on my doorstep. However, we have a hole in our fence and the dog discovered it. But it didn't leave. It just hung out on our front porch barking at us to let it in. I had to leave for a little while and when I cam back, the puppy was gone. I was worried about whether the puppy was safe, but there wasn't a whole lot I could do at that point.
A few days later, we got a knock on the door from one of our neighbors. He was looking for a white puppy, just like the one we found. Apparently, they also have a hole in their fence and the puppy kept escaping. I was relieved to find out that the dog had simply gone home after it left our house and we now know where to return it to.


Then yesterday, Ella and I went to get the mail and this little kitten came bounding across the street to greet us. It was very friendly and clean and liked us. It came from the same yard the puppy belonged to, so I knew it had owners. We played out side with it for a long time. Ella liked the kitty because it didn't jump on her and she could play with it and chase it. She was having a blast. When Aaron came home, the kitten was still outside our front door meowing to come in. As soon as he opened the door the kitten came inside and promptly made itself at home.
Now typically I would not allow a strange cat to come into my house while pregnant, but I knew this cat was domesticated and clean and I would not be cleaning up its litter box. It was only inside for about 10 minutes. Aaron and Ella walked the kitten back to its house and the owners had no idea their cat was missing, but they also couldn't find their puppy again. They have small children and they tend to let the dog out the front door quite frequently.
Now when we go outside Ella looks constantly for the kitty and has been asking for it all day. She loves animals, especially when they aren't jumping on her. Here is the kitten all snuggled up on the couch. So cute!

No comments: